Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Don't Flatter Yourself.

So I went back to the old stomping grounds a few weekends ago. (Did I even tell you about this?) Claire and I headed out to an infamous bar near the old homestead to have a mini high school reunion. Some of our old classmates were not invited, but sure enough were there in perfect attendance making me wish I was cutting class again and not seeing their faces and hearing their stories. Ahh... The good old days.

Needless to say, I took every opportunity I had to duck away from I-Think-I'm-Better-Looking-Than-Every-Girl-Here, I-Am-God's-Gift-To-Woman-Though-I-Might-Be-Mildly-Retarded, and I'm-So-Ditsy-I-Can-Barely-Function-On-A-Daily-Basis.

Sneaking off to a quiet corner to enjoy a cigarette, I spotted an Old Friend (Joe) with his new girlfriend (Tess) and a mutual friend of theirs (Kyle). The girlfriend is cute. She's a little airhead-ish and her voice is a tad too high pitch for my taste, but she's sweet, so I can't hate her too much. Joe is doing well and loving life, looking great, and enjoying the summer. Kyle is rather cute, though other than his build, he's not really my type. In fact, I HATED everything he was wearing, his choice of music, the fact that he doesn't read... ever, and is a few years younger than myself. Basically, in my book, all he had going for him was his witty sarcasm (big turn on for me), merciless behavior towards bimbos who walked in our general direction, and his hair.

He and I decided to retire to the smaller of the two outer decks where we can enjoy our drinks and smokes and avoid contact with people I don't want to see, and people he doesn't want to meet. We chatted a bit. Smoke a lot. Drank even more. And at one point he interrupted me mid-sentence for a kiss. When departing I opted to take his number rather than giving him mine. (I like having the control, though I most likely will never make a move... or phone call/text anyway.)

***************************

Fast forward to two Saturdays ago. Claire and I get matching texts from Joe inviting us to a party at his place that night, pretty much begging us to come. After moaning for a few minutes about the hassle of traveling to such a far location we realize how stupid we're being.

Drink for almost nothing at a house rather than blowing a hundred at the bar.
A place to crash when ready to crash. No subways, cabs of any kind.
Air Conditioning. (Blew a fuse in my apartment and have been too lazy to replace it. Therefore it's too damn hot in there.)
Guaranteed good times. (Because with Joe, it always is.)

So we go.

We're not even in the door more than 5 minutes and Joe and his girly are giggling like 3 year olds. I demand to know what's so funny.

"Kyle's coming." Clearly, they know about the kiss then. And how I haven't called. I turned red with embarrassment. I'm not sure why. "But guess how he's getting here? Tim's driving him."

[Note: Tim is another mutual friend of Joe and Tess's. He and I had a similar make-out session a few months back. I did the same to him as I did to Kyle. Took his number and never called/text him. Ever.]

Awkward.

I know I turned multiple shades of red that time. Everywhere. Not just my face. I felt my arms get hot even.

They arrive, I've had a few beers already. I play it cool. I say hello, casually, and don't acknowledge our previous encounters or treat them any different than anyone else at the party. And they noticed. Tim got upset and gave me the silent treatment all night. He was flirting with all of his might with this tall, young blonde and looking in my direction all night.

Tim and I met once. He doesn't know that I don't get jealous. Ever. It's just not my thing. That, and I don't really give a damn.

Kyle took a different approach. If I stepped out back for a smoke and didn't invite anyone, he would wander out the door just a few seconds behind me attempting to make small talk. I didn't deny any of it, I just didn't look for any of it. So we talked some more and this time it really felt like we hit it off.

Kyle and Tim left the party rather early, somewhere around the 2AM range. I get a text. It's Kyle.

"Hey. Sorry I had to go. I really enjoyed chatting with you. I hope you don't mind, but Claire gave me your number. She said that you would never call, that I had to do all the work. Which I don't mind. ;)"

Sweet kid.

We've been texting each other fairly regularly all week (we don't chat on the phone because our schedules conflict, and it's easier for both of us to text while we're working than get caught on the phone. That, and I'm not really one for chatting on the phone). He asked me out on a series of dates varying in activities and such. All of which I declined due to work related events that required my presence/attention. He seemed alright by it. Everything was cool, he's a nice kid, we have a lot in common... but he pissed me off last night.

I explained to him that Monday night is poker night, so I can't talk. I am the only girl that plays (with half friends, half family) and they all love to bust my balls. Texting while playing poker is grounds for being banished from the poker room for life. He says he loves poker and would love to join our Monday night antics. We've been looking to add some new people to the mix anyway, so I tell him if he has nothing to do, he should come by and play. This conversation happened a few days prior. He seemed pumped and said he would definitely be into it.

I didn't hear from him all day Sunday or Monday. Which is more than fine by me. But if he was really interested in playing, I didn't want him to forget about it. So here's how the conversation went down. Via text.

D: Poker tonight. You in?
K: Oh right. I forgot I'm supposed to go help a friend with something tonight. But if I don't, I'll come by. I'll let you know. What time are you guys playing?
D: Half hour-ish.
K: I said I'll let you know!!!

First reaction? "Ew."

I wasn't being pushy. He did ask what time we were playing, so I told him. It wasn't a big deal at all. It wouldn't have made a single difference to me if he came or not. I'm playing regardless, and having fun no matter what.

I wonder if he thinks I was being clingy? Or if he thinks I'm head over heels for him. (Only because one of the poker guys suggested that.) None of which is true. He's cool. I'm looking more for friendship than anything else.

Was I not clear about that?

Then I get a text mid-game last night from Joe. "Back off of Kyle just a little bit. If you smother him, you're going to scare him away."

WHAT? Don't flatter yourself kid. I only text you back when you asked questions and I declined every date invitation. I invited you to play poker with my friends and I... AS FRIENDS.

That's most likely the end of that kid.

No comments: