Thursday, May 22, 2008

We're not all inconsiderate pricks. Just some of us.

I will always give up my seat to someone one the subway who needs it more than I do. Someone older than me, someone with child(ren), someone carrying bags that most likely total or exceed their body weight or someone who just looks like they've had the day/week/year from hell.

As I got off the subway this afternoon, heading back to the office after a lunch meeting the rain had just started to come down. They were sun showers, but the rain drops were enormous and coming down fast. As I approached my office doors I passed a young woman running while pushing a stroller and toting a toddler on her hip (the newest and most hip accessory these days). This wasn't a mother trying to get in shape, this was a woman who was either A.) Running late somewhere. And the extra kid baggage (literally and figuratively) were not helping matters or 2.) Was just trying to get where she needed to be while staying as dry as possible.

"Whoa! Hang on one second." I yelled.

Naturally, she looked puzzled.

I opened my umbrella and stuck the handle in the opening of her back pack so that it covered hers and her toddler's head while she ran. The hands free umbrella! (And much cooler than the umbrella hats, might I add.) The infant was covered in plastic (you know, plastic, the stuff your parents told you stay away from because "you could suffocate God dammit!") so I wasn't too worried about covering the stroller.

She looked even more puzzled.

"Just visiting?" She asks. She thinks I'm a fucking tourist.

"Nope. Born and raised. But I get that a lot."

I remember shortly after 9/11 everyone was brother and sister in New York. We were all friends, sharing smiles, cheersing drinks, and holding doors open for people. It's only been 6 and half years, and we have quickly forgotten how easy it is just to be polite or selfless.

God forbid a New Yorker has a heart.

"Thanks." She smiled and walked away. I know that, while it's not what I intended, I will be the topic of conversation between her and her friends/family for the rest of the week. Isn't that fucking sad?

No comments: