Friday, August 22, 2008

The IRS can suck my ass.

The City Cynic is getting more and more cynical as the days go by. I'll be the first to admit it, I've been very bitter (even more bitter than normal) this past week. My boss is all over my ass. And not in a sexual way. The IRS is trying to rape me of hard earned money I've received from side jobs. (1099 What? Yea... I'm new at this.)

Let's review the logic.

I do a side job. (Painting murals and/or framed artwork and/or sell framed photographs.) The client simply cuts me a check for an amount we both think is fair for time/materials. I finish the job/produce the product. I cash the check. We call it a day.

APPARENTLY, the client is obligated to send me a 1099 form at the end of the year for work done. None of which I've gotten. So when I filed my taxes, got my returns (thank you US Government for pretending to give a shit and sending me some of my rightfully owed tax money back including the stimulus check) then five months later, I get a call. "Ms. City Cynic? You're being audited."

Fucking sweet.

Turns out I owe roughly $3,018.75 in taxes on unclaimed income. Whoops. Now here's the kicker. Had they known about that in the beginning, when I filed my taxes... They would have known that the amount I owe was not too far away from the total they gave me back. They could have just kept their fuckin return and I could have paid the difference.

No. They wait until they're sure you've spent the return. Just to REALLY screw with you. And then they expect you to just have a few grand lying around. "You have 90 days to settle the debt with the United States Government before late fees and interest are assessed."

Awesome.

Yea. That makes sense. If I can't come up with the money now. Just add more and give me a 15 day extension. I'll definitely be able to come up with it by then.

How do I come up with the money you ask?

I sign myself on to another side job. One I don't really have the time for at the moment. (What with my birthday party tonight, leaving for California in six days, leaving for Atlanta in 35 days, my step-sister's wedding coming up which involves, trying on dresses, planning a shower/bachelorette party, etc, and my social life all getting in the way.) But I signed on for it anyway. Getting a deposit from the client in a week.

Taxes paid!

[[Fuckin 1099s...]]

7 comments:

The Brooklyn Boy said...

Yo, that's a ridiculous move on the IRS' part. Jerks. Fuck a 1099 (the ol' freelancers form, ha.)

Glad you're able to make it happen though.

And what's this birthday business, knucklehead? Enjoy it. Go Team (End-of-)August!

Dean said...

Or team September? My birthday is September first, but I won't be here for it. That's why we celebrated this weekend.

The Brooklyn Boy said...

(Birthday) Party foul right there, ha. Hope you enjoyed yourself and that the celebrating was quite ... celebratory. And happy (early) birthday. :)

PS
I saw Pedro pitch on Thursday.

Dean said...

The birthday party was fun. (Will write all about it later.)

And you saw Pedro on Thursday? Talk about foul. Thanks for the invite. Sheesh.

The Brooklyn Boy said...

Fun is good. (says Mike Veeck) Looking forward to the recap.

And yeeeeeeah I did. It was a late invite from one of my boys with an extra ticket. We'll have to go another time. ;)

Dean said...

...I'm holdin' ya to it!

The Brooklyn Boy said...

Ha. I'd have to have a way of contacting you first.